Friday, June 09, 2006

Summer

This week has been relatively busy at work with lots of deadlines converging at once. Most of the week it was pretty routine. *whinge*

But today we went to Cambridge for a couple of meetings and had four hours of 'free time' in between. I was expecting it to be interesting, but having been to one or two English towns - how different could it really be? Starbucks and ubiquitous high street stores make everywhere look the same.

I was blown away by the architecture and atmosphere of the place. Cambridge Uni, founded in the 1200's, has an incredible sense of history. I felt inspired and intelligent just walking around. I was surreptitiously people watching, looking for high foreheads, pocket protectors (or high spec laptops) and other signs of brainiacs.

The effervescent feeling in the air was definitely enhanced by the weather (amazing) and an alleged uni ball (which I imagine to be exactly like the QUT Law Ball). Although I haven't been able to find any details on Google so that may not be true.

But some kind of event was going on...

What the?!!!


Seen at about 2:00pm.

They really do mess about on boats on the river...


What an enviable student life (again - just like QUT ... "university for the real world")....


but can't but help noticing the killer muffin top/whale tail combo on the right....

And, conscious of not finishing on a bitchy note, I defo want to visit again soon. On a sunny day. So I can sit by the river with a cold beer, not worrying about a 4 o'clock meeting and take photos to my heart's content without feeling like a total provincial tourist in front of my colleagues.



PS it makes me smile that I'm not the only Aussie around here noticing the rays. Pauline and Shauny are way ahead of me....
PPS we had bugger all of a summer last year so please bear with us......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ohhh I love all the QUT references, I am hoping to go to the law ball this year, final year and all :)

Loving all the Cambridge photos :)